Monday, May 2, 2011

Ding Dong

I don't have much to say that hasn't been said. I'm not excited about Osama's death. I can't imagine celebrating death. But I'm happy for my country and our fight against those that mean us harm.

I was really happy with President Obama's speech. It was a difficult one to make. There was a narrow path that needed to be taken. He walked it. I'm happy about the choices Obama makes about how to talk to Muslims around the world. We need to be seen as strong and willing to stand up for ourselves without fear. But we are also a tolerant nation. Anyway, I really liked the speech he gave and the dignity with which he delivered it.

As for what happens now, who knows? War is a funny thing. War may be the opposite of peace, but I think it's important to realize that peace can be just as bloody or worse. Hitler might have been at war with Europe, but he was at peace with the Jews. Saddam might have been at war with Iran, but he was at peace with the Kurds. My point is that peace always leads to suffering. Because if a person can force their will on others with impunity, someone will do so. Only war makes freedom possible.

Obama made politically unpopular decisions about escalating the war in Afghanistan to dismantle the Taliban and find Osama. Liberals wanted us out. The fact that Obama went against his own party on that, does say something.

No comments:

Post a Comment